- This event has passed.
140th Anniversary Summer Celebration!
June 21 @ 6:30 pm - 7:30 pm
Please join us for our birthday celebration on the library lawn, with cake, music, dancing, special book sale and door prizes of our extra copies of books about Lambertville. Also – we kick off the start of summer reading!
Tuesday, June 21st @ 6:30-7:30 PM
Click here to donate to our 140th Anniversary Fundraiser!
History of the Lambertville Library:
On June 21, 1882, the Stryker Library opened in a room over Cochran’s Drug Store at Union and Coryell Streets. Prominent businessman Samuel D. Stryker had left $1000 in his will in 1863 to establish a library “for the benefit of the inhabitants” of Lambertville, but only after those inhabitants raised an equal amount. A portrait of Samuel Stryker hangs over the mantel in the library’s main room.
In 1883, the library moved to the ground floor of the Masonic Building at 19 Bridge Street, and in the early 1950’s it re-located to the second floor of City Hall on York Street. The City of Lambertville had taken over support of the library in 1926, which voters had approved in a November 1925 referendum.
When the City needed the upstairs space at City Hall, it moved the library in late 1988 to the first floor of the Lilly Mansion at 6 Lilly Street. The City had purchased the dilapidated building in 1980, and after a major renovation in 1993, the library expanded to the second floor.